It’s that time of year again and we are just loving this scone recipe. Whether you’re going to bake this for Galentine’s or even your Valentine’s, this is something so delicious and visually pleasing. Don’t forget to bake an extra batch for work to share with everyone.
2 cups flour
¼ cup sugar (use less if you plan on adding chocolate chips)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
6 tablespoons of cold butter, cut into chunks
½ cup mini chocolate chips OR regular sized if you like larger chunks of chocolate
¾ cups + 1 tsp heavy cream, divided
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (We don’t recommend the imitation kind)
½ tsp red food coloring (for the pink color!)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut cold butter with a butter knife so it resembles large, coarse crumbs. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Mix wet ingredients: ¾ c heavy cream, egg , vanilla along with food coloring into a mixing bowl. Using a wire whisk, blend ingredients well and if you feel your mixture isn’t pink enough, add a couple more drops of red food coloring. Add flour to mixture and stir to form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour your surface such as a cutting board and pat into an 8-inch circle. Using a round or heart-shaped cookie cutter, start cutting out your desired shapes.
- Continue to gather scraps of dough and shaping the dough into a circle and using cookie cutter to make additional scones.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, brush the tops with heavy cream (1 tsp).
- Place in oven for about 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. To ensure even baking, rotate your baking sheet at the 8-minute mark.
- Once done, let the scones cool on a wire rack.
PRO TIP: You can cut out these cones into heart shapes by using a cookie cutter. Spray cookie cutter with some cooking spray to prevent dough from sticking.